Birds in the Nest
My mum is English and I grew up thinking that this breakfast favorite was a post war favorite until I shared it with others. Apparently, many people grew up with some version of this and kids love them!
4 organic eggs
4 slices whole grain bread
2 Tbs organic butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut a 3 inch hole in the middle of each slice of bread. Set centers aside for now.
2. Melt butter in frying pan and place as many slices as you can in pan. Pan fry these slices for 1-2 minutes and then crack an egg and drop it in the middle of each of these slices.
3. Depending on how you like your egg cooked, you either drop the egg in early or wait until the bread has to be flipped to the other side. I like my eggs cooked light so I drop the egg in when the bread has been flipped.
4. So, flip the bread once the egg is set on one side, add more butter if you need to. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. About this time is when you want to add the bread circles. Toss when they are browned on one side. My sister and I loved these toasty little centers and would have them with jam for our “dessert.”