Sunrise Curried Tomato Tofu Stew
Bright and colorful. A deliciously warming stew…this is made from pre-frozen tofu that you should freeze several days ahead of time.
1 Tbs expeller pressed canola or sesame oil
½ cup medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
½ cup carrots, sliced diagonally or into thin rounds
1 cup red unpeeled potatoes (4 small), scrubbed and quartered
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 lb firm tofu, cubed, frozen and thawed
1 small Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and cored, cut into ½-inch pieces
1-2 Tbs curry powder
1 Tbs honey
1 tsp salt
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Prepare tofu by draining and cutting into 2-inch cubes. Freeze at least three days ahead or longer. Freezing will make the tofu texture spongier and more absorbable, allowing more juices and flavors to infuse the tofu.
- Defrost tofu completely and gently squeeze tofu in your hand over the sink to remove as much water as possible without crushing the cubes. Pieces will have a spongy texture. Set aside in bowl.
- Preheat oil in a medium sized soup pot on medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add red pepper and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients: carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, tofu, apple, curry, honey, and salt. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes. Do not stir tofu; allow it to just simmer in the broth.
- Add cilantro for garnish and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over brown rice, couscous, or quinoa to make a hearty protein dish full of vitamins and minerals. Serve with a green vegetable or salad.