(yields 1 dozen cookies)
Very delicate and elegant cookies. They are a little work, but worth the effort.
1 cup organic sugar
½ cup blanched almonds, finely ground
½ cup rolled oats, finely ground
2 Tbs candied orange peel, finely chopped
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
½ tsp salt
8 Tbs unsalted butter, ½ lb. melted
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs orange juice
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1 drop orange oil extract
- Preheat oven to 375. Place a piece of parchment paper on cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter with remaining wet ingredients. Now combine dry and wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. The batter will be loose.
- Spoon batter, one tablespoon at a time, on cooking sheet, 4 inches apart from each other. Cookies will spread quite a lot. As they bake, they will bubble with holes and look like lace. Bake for 8 minutes, remove and place on cookie rack to cool.
- Either in a double boiler or microwave, melt chocolate and add orange oil. You can follow directions in my Chocolate Dipped Strawberries recipe for melting chocolate.
- Spread thin layer of melted chocolate on one cookie and place another cookie on top like a wafer. Return to rack to cool and allow chocolate to set again.
Suggestions: You can use white chocolate or milk chocolate as an alternative. You can also use these wafers to make ice cream sandwich cookies. Using semi soft vanilla ice cream, place a heaping tablespoon of ice cream in the center of a cookie. Using the second cookie press the ice cream to make it spread. Freeze immediately. When frozen wrap individually and refreeze for up to a month.