I love the light refreshing crunch of this salad. A great side dish to any protein especially BBQ!
1 medium jicama root, peeled
2 cups sliced red cabbage
2 green apples
4 scallions chopped (green and white bottoms)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs honey
3 medium limes
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp white pepper
- Prepare dressing by grating the zest from one lime, and limes juice from that lime and one additional lime. Whisk that with the honey until blended and whisk in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Peel and slice jicama thinly. Slice into very thin matchsticks or use a food process or mandoline. Slice red cabbage very thinly again either with a sharp knife, food processor or mandoline. Toss together.
- Slice apples and core. Peeling is an option. I like to leave it on for extra color and flavor. Slice apples very thinly. Toss with juice from one lime. Add to cabbage and jicama.
- Chop scallions in ¼ pieces removing the roots. Include both the bottom white part and the green tops, removing any tops that are discolored or bruised. Add to cabbage mixture.
- Chop cilantro coarsely (wash thoroughly first). Add to cabbage mixture and toss. Add dressing and toss again until vegetables are lightly coated. Let stand for 30 minutes for flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature or just slightly chilled.